This is the inaugural clergy retreat for the Alliance's Clergy Affiliate Information & Resource Network (CAIRN). Join us for a time of connection, relaxation, learning together, and renewal in the mountains of Western North Carolina.
CAIRN Clergy Retreat Information
Date: January 28-31, 2018
(Retreatants can arrive and check-in on the evening of January 28th. The retreat will conclude by noon on January 31st.)
Location: The retreat will be located in the beautiful mountains of North Carolina, just south of Asheville.
Lutheridge Conference & Camp Center
2049 Upper Laurel Road, Arden, NC 28704
Retreat Theme: Prophetic Ministry from the Inside, Out
The call, task and responsibilities of prophetic ministry, along with our personal lives, sometimes have us in a jumble of emotions. This retreat will allow us to not only encounter the busyness of our lives---but also will allow us to look at our emotions and how they affect us as individuals. Where is joy, fear, sadness, anger and even disgust in our day to day lives? What other emotions are present for us? How do we refuel ourselves in the midst of living?
This time together will allow us to reflect, make new connections, have fun and ready ourselves to engage a renewed wholesome life, that engages and encompasses the whole of who we are as we look within ourselves and also contemplate our work and our environment as we walk with the Spirit.
A more detailed schedule will be updated soon. Below is tentative information about the basics of the retreat by day.
- Arrival (after 5:00 p.m.)
- Dinner (on own/small groups at local restaurants)
- Welcome/Gathering/Devotion/Opening Worship Gathering
- Presentations on Internal Family Systems (IFS) theory as a lens for pastoral reflection
- Small group meetings to discuss “ministry cases”
- Personal reflection time and hiking opportunity
- Screening of movie Inside Out, followed by discussion (popcorn will be available!)
- Final IFS presentation and interactive group activities
- Additional small group meetings for continued case discussion
- Afternoon reflection/individual time with options for discussion with Mahan Siler, body-work/massage sessions, and journaling/meditation time.
- Dinner, followed by games and more fun!
- Final small group meeting
- Closing worship gathering and communion service.
- Retreat concludes by 12 noon. Depart with renewed body, minds and spirits!
Registration includes lodging for three nights, meals (breakfast on January 29th through breakfast on January 31st), program costs, and materials.
CAIRN Member Participant*:
- $400 (single room)
- $300 (double/shared room)
- $500 (single room)
- $400 (double/shared room)
*Note: Curious if you’re already a member of CAIRN (or interested in joining)? Click here.
Registration Deadline: December 15, 2017 (or as space is available)
Refund Policy: A registration refund of 50% will be available until December 15th. We are not able to provide registration refunds after the registration deadline.
ARRIVAL: Retreatants should plan to arrive at the retreat center after 5:00 p.m. on Sunday, January 28th. For those interested, groups will plan to travel to dinner at a local restaurant and return for an evening worship opportunity. Due to travel, people will be arriving throughout the evening and can check-in with the retreat center. The main retreat sessions will begin on Monday morning.
DEPARTURE: We plan to finish by noon on Wednesday, January 31st.
Some additional transportation information is listed below.
By Car: The address for Lutheridge is posted above. Parking is available at the location. Some retreatants may decide to carpool and we are happy to connect participants from similar geographic areas, if interested.
By Airplane: The Asheville Regional Airport (AVL) is only about three miles from the retreat center. The next closest major airports are Greenville-Spartanburg International (GSP), which is about 65 miles from the retreat center, and Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT), which is about 110 miles from the retreat center.
By Train or Bus: Visit Greyhound or Amtrak to check on availability and possible transportation routes.